If you have grown up in a desi household, here’s what you definitely know to be true:
1. You have worn your elder sibling’s clothes all your childhood
2. You have a very fancy and delicate dinner set at home that you never use
3. And a set of tea cups that is only used when guests come over!
4. All your favourite t-shirts eventually become ponchas
5. We all have that one shopping bag that we use to store other plastic bags
6. You were forbidden to remove the plastic covers from new car seats and that TV remote!
7. You get to hear the rates of tomatoes and rice and potatoes if you leave food in your plate!
8. You remove the gift wraps without tearing them so you can use them again
9. Your parents believed that keeping a money plant actually makes you rich
10. The box of butter cookies was used to store the sewing supplies!
11. That one chair where you keep all your clothes!
12. You: “Shampoo khatam ho gaya hai.” Your mom: “Paani daal kar use kar lo”
13. Your dad squeezed every last drop of toothpaste from the tube
14. Your mom uses ice cream tubs to store leftover food in the fridge!
15. Desi moms simply don’t trash any plastic cans or boxes!
16. You slap the shit out of anything that stops working, be it the remote or alarm clock!