The family is a haven in a heartless world. – Christopher Lasch
Having a family is a blessing, but having a joint family means double the blessings, double the fun, double the drama and double the love.
Here are 20 things every Pakistani living in a joint family can relate to:
1. The word ‘privacy’ does not exist
Doh minute humein akela nahi chor sakti?
2. You have to cook tons of food daily
Pakaty jao pakaty jao, AUR pakaty jao!
3. And you have to share your food even if you don’t like sharing
4. You will never get bored because someone is always available to hang out with you
5. A family gathering is no longer a separate occasion. It’s an all the time kind of thing.
6. You learn to respect your elders. All 28 of them.
7. And love the young one. All 288 of them!
8. Your cousins are the same as your siblings. You don’t even understand the difference anymore.
9. You always have a family Whatsapp or Facebook group
10. You have to greet every single person individually
Ap bhi mun meeta karlein.
11. And tell everyone where you are going. ALL of them.
Beta kis rasty sy jarahi ho?
12. You get to hear all sorts of magical stories from your grandparents. Any time you want!
Ek tha shehzada…
13. Your khalas, mamus, chachas and tayas are your second third and fourth sets of parents.
Haye hamari bachi!
14. You fight with your cousins on as much as you fight with your siblings. And since there are so many of you together – there is always always one fight a day!
Dafa hojao yahan sey
15. But you also know that in times of trouble, all 228 of them will be there to support you.
Oye kisne chera merey bhai ko?
16. Your cousins are your PICs (Partners In Crime)
Chup, agar kuch bhi bola tu main tumhara naam ley lunga.
17. But when you are caught red-handed, you have an entire platoon of people waiting to lecture you and make fun of you!
Sharam nahi ati tum logon ko?
18. Never ending family drama and kitchen politics are part of your daily routine
Dekha tumhari biwi ney aj kya kia hai?
20. But if someone tries to mess with any one of you, you know that all the wives and husbands, sons and daughters, grandfathers and grandmothers, sisters and brothers, all have your ultimate back.