Ludo is one of those classic games that will have an entire family entertained for hours. One goes through a lot while playing the game. There is suspense, tragedy and one heck of a roller coaster ride for the pawns and the one driving the pawn.
1. It starts off as an innocuous time pass. Just to spend some quality hours with the family.
“Oooh! I’m so excited!”
2. You have your game face on and there is a light, playful exchange among players.
“Main yeh game jeet ke rahoon ga.” “Haan bilkul, pehlay chay (6) leyana apnay!”
3. Slowly, the game progresses and the pawns start to leave their stations after the dice rolls out a six.
4. And, if you happen to get two sixes in succession, you’re considered competition.
5. You plan along as the game progresses. One needs a proper game plan to win this thing.
6. When you get all your pawns out, not only are you a threat, but you are also the target for everyone.
7. There is always that one person who has all four of their gotiyaan locked due to a lack of a six.
8. Now the teaming up starts. Mamoo-zad bhai will team up with khala so that they both can corner you.
9. Everyone wants to pitofy a pawn so that they can get to their home first.
10. The pawns would be spread across the board strategically to not let let loose of any opportunity there is to send someone back to square one.
11. When the first goti is pitofied, we know they would try to finish the game fast.
12. Also, there is no such thing as loyalty in Ludo. Once the job is done, your pawns are in trouble, too.
13. You’ll find players doing weird rolling-the-dice rituals that include ridiculous spell-like litanies, hoping for a miracle to happen and obtain a six.
Or a desired number to pitofy the goti that’s just right there.
14. While you’re praying to get a certain number, your opponent would be praying that you don’t get the required number.
15. But there is this one person from the lot who gets the right number at the right time. ALWAYS!
16. When they pitofy your goti, you hit them with that very goti while they laugh evilly.
17. This one person who is winning becomes the target of everyone.
18. When you have one last pawn left, everyone will join forces to somehow not let you through.
19. However, you can’t beat the feeling you get when you’ve crossed all obstacles.
20. When you win and get out, the rest continue with the same fervor and put all the above mentioned tactics to use.
Ludo is one amazing board game and this recollection really makes me want to play ludo this very instant!